The Application Deadline of the 14th Japan International Manga Award Is Extended2020-06-17
Applications for the Fourteenth Japan International MANGA Award are now closed. Hold tight, the winners will be announced soon!
The application guidelines for the International Japan MANGA Award have been revised (PDF format submissions are now being accepted). The application period for the 14th Japan International MANGA Award is from April 6th 2020 to July 10th 2020.
Electronic submissions are only accepted in PDF format. Regarding the PDF submission, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in the country or region in which you reside. Here is the link to the website that contains information about Japanese Embassies and Consulates. We are looking forward to receiving submissions.
Guidelines for Application
To spread MANGA culture overseas and promote international cultural exchanges through MANGA.
(1) The Gold Award of the Japan International MANGA Award will be given to the best MANGA work, the Silver Award to three excellent works, and the Bronze Award to other eleven works.
(2) The Gold Award and the Silver Award winners will be invited to Japan approximately for 10 days on the occasion of the award ceremony as a extra prize (the Bronze Award winners are not entitled).
3. Conditions of Entry
(1) Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the past winning works of Japan International Manga Awards.
(2) Eligible MANGA works should be the ones which have been produced within the past three years (2017-2020) from the date of application.
(3) Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in electronic form (PDF) or printed form (Works submitted in electronic form will be printed for selection procedures).
(4) Overseas publishing companies can apply to the Japan International MANGA Award, upon confirmation from the MANGA artists of submitting their work.
(5) Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a foreign national. Also the representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a foreign national.
(6) Only one work may be submitted per applicant.
Only one work may be accepted under one title (or series).
In case that a collection of short stories is to be applied, only one story will be accepted for examination.
Duplicate entries will be invalid.
(7) For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may upload the winner’s MANGA works (partially) on its website upon obtaining approval from the artists.
4. How to Apply
April 6th 2020 – July 10th 2020 (entries must arrive by this date)
(2)Applications should be sent to either i) or ii) below.
i) Japanese Embassies or Consulates General (Check online for each address.)
MBE193 The 14th Japan International MANGA Award Executive Committee Shinjuku Oak Tower 2F, 6-8-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN Postcode: 163-6002
(3) Two copies of the printed work and/or one copy in electronic form (PDF) must be submitted (a submission that includes both a printed copy and an electronic copy requires only a single printed copy). Where possible, applicants are advised to submit a printed and an electronic copy of the work.
However, submissions are not required to be in both printed and electronic form and the medium used for the submission will not affect the selection results in any way. (Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.)
(4)An entry form, filled in either English or Japanese, must be attached to the work.
Eligible MANGA works that have been submitted in electronic form only will be printed for the selection procedure. Please ensure that the submission can be printed to conform to the A4 paper size. Page numbers must be indicated on every page of the work.
If the work is not in the form of a book, it needs to be indicated clearly if there is any specific two-page spread in the work.
5. Return of Works
The submitted works will not be returned to applicants. Therefore, if the work has not yet been published, please be advised to submit a copy of the work and keep the original. The submitted works might be donated or exhibited.
After the first round of screening by the Association of Japanese Manga Publishers, the 14th Japan International MANGA Award Selection Committee will be responsible for the selection procedures.
7. Award Ceremony
The award ceremony is planned to be held in Tokyo in February 2021. (END)Link